Dry Eye Disease
The tear film is composed of 3 layers: mucous layer, water later, and oil layer. Any imbalance in the production of any of these layers may result in dry eyes. Dry eyes can be caused by a myriad of reasons, including allergy, medications, autoimmune diseases, Sjogren’s syndrome, or may be simply age related.
For patients that suffer from evaporative dry eye, also known as Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD), San Antonio Eye Specialists offers LipiFlow, an innovative treatment for treating the cause of evaporative dry eye disease.
The symptoms of dry eyes include:
- Stinging/Burning sensations
- Scratchy or itchy eyes
- Chronic irritation
- Blurry vision
- Gritty sensation
- Excessive tearing
- Eye redness
The LipiFlow® Thermal Pulsation System works by clearing blocked meibomian glands, which allows the eyes to resume the normal production of lipids (oils) needed for a healthy tear film. The result may significantly reduce or eliminate the uncomfortable symptoms associated with evaporative dry eye disease.
Why is LipiFlow® Superior to Other Dry Eye Treatments?
If you suffer from dry eyes, life can seem like a constant battle to alleviate the annoying symptoms. Common eye drops and warm compresses become a daily part of life. You’ve also tried reducing the amount of time you wear contact lenses, tried to reduce screen time, even blinking exercises and lid scrubs, but long-term, nothing seems to work. If this sounds familiar, you may be a good candidate for the LipiFlowThermal Pulsation System®. It’s the breakthrough treatment for patients who suffer from evaporative dry eye.
- The first and only treatment that addresses the cause of evaporative dry eye at the source, allowing your eyelid glands to produce the oils required for a healthy tear film. Other treatments – warm compresses and drops – just give you temporary symptomatic relief.
- Sustained relief through improved gland function. Other treatments require daily, and sometimes even hourly, attention to keep your evaporative dry eye under control.
- A powerful step in managing dry eye disease, providing relief of dry eye symptoms and helping stop the cycle of dry eye deterioration and worsening symptoms.
LipiScan® Diagnostic Evaluation
The diagnosis of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD) is made by thorough clinical examination using a state-of-the-art device called LipiScan. Using this device allows our doctors to diagnose MGD in high-definition. The test only takes about 60 seconds and immediately following the test, our doctors will be able to let you know if you have MGD and if you would be a good LipiFlow candidate.
- Replacing tears: This can be achieved by artificial tear preparations. There are many preparations available on the market. Each may be advantageous in a different way, depending on the type of tear deficiency. If you try using over-the-counter methods, please use artificial tears that are preservative-free!
- Slowing down the drainage of natural tears: This can be achieved by punctal plugs. Punctal plugs are tiny and microscopic, and they do as their name suggests – they plug the drainage pores of the eyelids to prevent natural tears from draining faster, thereby lubricating the eyes longer. This can be a very simple and effective method in managing dry eyes.
- Medicated drops: These work by reducing the inflammatory component of dry eyes, and may increase the tear film production overtime.
- Over-the-counter natural remedies: Fish oil and Flax seed oil have been clinically shown to help reduce dry eye symptoms by increasing tear production.
Alleviate Dry Eye Today with Lipiflow!
DRY EYE EVALUATION
Our friendly appointment staff is here to help, contact us today!